Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Between the Bookends: Twilight by Stephanie Meyer

This summer I have made an effort to read more, watch TV less. So, as a by-product, I have a number of book reviews I can do. Let me start with my summer reading blockbuster: Twilight by Stephanie Meyer.

To say I was reluctant to start the series is an understatement. I did not think a novel with romance, vampires, werewolves, and teenagers would appeal to me. I was wrong! Twilight grabs your attention from page one. You are instantly drawn to Bella and her awkward, shy nature. As she stumbles through the spring semester of her junior year of high school, you begin to champion her quest to be with Edward, the vampire. The struggle that Edward feels throughout the book is magnified by the exceptional storytelling that Meyer weaves together. This novel leaves you "thirsty" for the next book in the series, New Moon. Be warned, once you start the series, you will not want to stop until you are done.

-Side note- The movie is not even in the ballpark compared to the novel. Once you have read the book and then see the movie, it is like a 2 hour trailer for the novel. They skip some of the best parts of the book so it just leaves the Twilight fan wanting to re-read the book so they can get the story right in their head.

No comments: